Monday, October 22, 2007

Fen Ditton


Today we walked along the river to a nearby town, Fen Ditton. The morning started out on the cool side, but then the sun broke through the clouds, and it was perfect walking weather.



The swans are beautiful. (click on the images for their full gory. This may be the best picture I've ever taken.) I understand the necks. And the webbed feet. But what selective pressure would cause them to be as white as new snow? (it doesn't snow here much).

I decided to get friendly with the swan pictured below. Like petting a cat... I kneeled down by the river, camera in hand, and extended my finger. The swan swam up and BIT it, thinking that it was a bit of food. Thankfully their teeth aren't too sharp. I actually thought it was kind of an honor to be bitten by something so beautiful.


We also walked by a several heards of cows. Apparently in England you can have your cows graze on any public lands. They were quite friendly, and did not mind my petting them in the least.



And the culmination of our walk was lunch at a riverside pub/strangely posh restaurant, watching the row-boats and swans go past.

No comments: