Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pro-Choice Rally

Today is the 35th anniversary of Roe v. Wade. There's one student in my class, Student L, who is very active with Medical Students for Choice. In the hall today, she persuaded me to attend a rally that abortion rights proponents were having later in the day. At first I was non-committal, but finally agreed to (she's kind of cute).

So I showed up wearing my white coat. It was drizzling out and slightly above freezing. I was expecting a stage with a speaker and a bunch of people cheering. A rally, right? Wrong.

They were standing on the busiest street in town. As I approached, someone handed me a sign (I held the Roe part of the Roe v. Wade HONK!" sign complex). A woman advised me to stand as close to the curb as possible because anti-abortionists would probably come and try to stand in front of us. So I stood there, holding my sign and waving a flag every time someone honked, which was not that often in the Bible Belt. A woman came up to me and asked if I would be willing to be interviewed by News Channel 4. Sure, I said. More people showed up. My gloveless hands were already numb. The drizzle intensified.

Student L as well as several other med students (including Student E) finally showed up, 20 minutes late. Making their signs had taken longer than expected.

Only a few anti-abortionists showed up. One guy stood behind me (I was right next to the curb), and constantly muttered something about the "value of life."

There were plenty of honks after a while. All (maybe 40) of us formed a line on the curb that was hard to ignore. One passenger in a car leaned over to honk the horn, causing the car to swerve. Another minivan drove by, all six kids emphatically giving us the thumbs down. Guess the parents didn't use birth control.

Student L asked me "Do you really think we're actually accomplishing anything?" "No," I said. "We're probably just pissing off the religious folk."

"Yeah, you're right," she said. "But that's ok by me."

"Me too... Me too."

No comments: