Saturday, January 26, 2008

Launry Detergent Thief

Two months ago, I realized that someone was stealing the laundry detergent that I keep in the communal laundry room. Every week, another three loads' worth of detergent would disappear. My half-full bottle would be nearly empty when I needed to use it. So before I left for Italy, I took the nearly empty bottle of Tide Free and filled it up with vegetable oil. Looks exactly the same. That'll teach them.

When I got back, I was shocked to discover that 1/3 of the bottle was gone. This means that the person did MANY (like 8) loads with vegetable oil. They didn't notice something different about their clothes?

I filled up the bottle again with more vegetable oil. And when I checked it a few weeks later - the same thing. WTF?

I'm not sure if I should just keep filling up the bottle with vegetable oil, or if I should write on the bottle "You've been washing your clothes in vegetable oil for the last two months, you detergent-stealing asshole!" Thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had my stain remover stolen just a while ago. Thinking it was an one-off incident, I did not mind it too much. However, today, when I went to do laundry, my Tide detergent was gone as well. The bottle itself had disappeared. I simply cannot comprehend why there are such bad people around. Are they just too lazy to want to go buy detergent themselves? Even this is the case, they have no reason to steal other people's stuff. Were they brought up by abusive parents? Were they sexually abused at some point in their life that made them anti-social? Or were they just born this way? Useless scum-sucking piece of trash.

Anyway, I was very angry. So I went to the internet to see if other unfortunate people had been subject to this situation as well. Hence I came to your site.

I don't think you should continue to fill the bottle with oil. This is because, assuming there is only one washer, you and the thief will share the same washing machine.
When his clothes are contaminated with oil, yours will be as well, as the washing machine itself is dirtied.

Anyway, just curious, have you been able to caught the thief yet? Shame on him/her!

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit here, but I will be back soon, because I really like the way you are writing, it is so simple and honest

Anonymous said...

On a whim I google searched "someone is stealing detergent" after I had my suspicions confirmed that someone is indeed stealing my detergent and fabric softener.
I keep it behind my washing machine in a communal laundry room.

This time the thief had taken all the powder as well as the rest of the softener. Incensed I went upstairs and refilled the softener slightly with bleach and blue high pigment arts coloring (for water installations and such) and replaced the leftover powder with a mix of sugar, baking soda and baking powder.

I giddily await the return of the thief and have relocated my detergent to my apartment.

Good luck with your thieves folks.