Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Neurological exam and a sunset

We learned how to do neurological examinations today. The doctor forgot her ophthalmoscope, so she asked if anyone in the class could lend her one. I waved mine in the air, and brought it down to her.

Apparently this also meant that I was volunteering to be the demonstration subject. So for the next hour and a half, I was poked and prodded in front of the class.

Follow my finger with your eyes. Close your eyes really tightly. Smile as big as you can. Stick out your tongue. Wiggle your tongue back and forth. Say ahhhhh. Do you feel this pin as I poke different parts of your body? Shrug your shoulders. Wow, you have great muscle tone. You must work out. (Class laughs) This is how you check reflexes. You have beautiful reflexes. (more laughter) Now walk over there and come back. See how beautiful that turn is, class? A perfectly normal walk. (I consciously tried not to bounce as I tend to do.) And it went on...

If you're good at it, you can do a full neurological exam in under five minutes, briskly moving from one test to another. It's amazing to see the neurologists do it like brushing their teeth. Almost without the need for conscious thought.

I drove back home in the evening, and went to the roof of the condo to get some shots of the sunset. Click for bigger pictures.



IM UPDATE:

PF: she's was sooo into you

PF: i guess she's doesn't get to evaluate young guys much

PF: it was cracking us all up

james37027: all I wanted to do was lend her my ophthalmoscope

PF: she's like, "james, you're so toned. i can picture you working out..."

james37027: hahaha

PF: hahahah.so good.

PF: she was playing doctor with you

PF: mmm, his deltoids are so defined

james37027: ha

PF: well for better or worse she made all the girls in the class wonder what your arms felt like.

james37027: really...?

PF: we were talking about it after class

james37027: they are pretty ripped, I must say

PF: good to know. keep it up. as much as girls don't admit it, we love that stuff

No comments: