Saturday, September 29, 2007

Rug Day


So I woke up this morning and looked on Craig's list for stuff. I've been looking for a rug for my dining room table for months. I found a much smaller rug that would fit nicely in my hallway. So I called the guy to inquire, and ended up driving out to Bellevue to one of those brand-new cookie-cutter subdivisions.

Turns out the guy imports rugs from Iran and uses craig's list to drum up business. One thing led to another, and I ended up with a 10 X 13 rug from Kashmar. Huge. Takes up pretty much the whole living room.

The rug guy, Shawn, is from Iran, and has a bachelor's degree and two master's degrees, and was an engineer until he figured out that he could make more money basically selling rugs out of his house. The rugs come to New York on a container ship, and then get shipped via DHL to his house, where he sells them to rug stores in town and to people like me on the side.

Update: The thing was just too large. So I had the brilliant idea of giving it to my dad for his birthday (Oct. 1). Turns out it fits brilliantly in the living room, and he loved the thing. My mom and I both took credit.

No comments: